Today is Mark’s birthday. He is 2 years and a little over a month younger than me, (in case you didn’t know), and so from Aug. 8th (my birthday) until Sept. 15th, (his birthday) every year he LOVES to brag that I am three years older than him. So I love his birthday because it brings it back down to a 2 year separation.
I have to be careful braggin’ about him because he gets more easily embarassed than me but I wanted to share some of my favorite things about the man I love…
- I decided this week that his amazing smile is my favorite thing in the world. I remember when we had just started dating and I wasn’t quite sure how I felt about him, we spent a few days apart and one night at church he walked in the room unexpectantly and when he smiled at me my stomach flipped in a way I had never experienced before. That was the moment I knew that I was truly, for the first time “in love.”
- I love his compassionate heart, particularly toward the older generation. I am so lacking in mercy and compassion that he always amazes me with how he can love on people that I am uncomfortable with.
- He loves music and loves listening to new artists and discovering new music. He truly has a passion for it.
- His deep sense of loyalty. When we were dating I did not understand at all how he could be such a die-hard Duke and USC fan when noone he is related to went to either of these schools. Now I adore how once he makes up his minds to align himself with something or someone… that is it – forever!
- His love for Camp McCall and the mountains. I am a beach girl, through and through, but I have learned to love the mountains b/c he does.
- I love his deep sentimentality. In college he made me a tape of some of his favorite songs that made him think about me. He wrote a paragraph about the significance of each one and asked me to respond by writing him back. I still look through those letters and treasure them.
- He encourages me to try new things and new experiences.
- He loves, loves, loves sports. A little too much on my scale at times, but nonetheless, it used to annoy me but now it has become somewhat endearing. I used to dread the start of football season but he has developed such a terrific balance and awareness of when it is getting on my nerves… that it now makes me love him even more. Nice way to evaluate how our relationship has grown:)
- He loves boiled peanuts, barbecue, butter beans, banana pudding, fried okra and most artery clogging southern food. I also love the fact that he introduced me to all these yummy treats. Although I grew up in the South, it was on Hilton Head and neither of my parents are from the South so I had never tried ANY of these delicacies, believe it or not.
- I love his dedication to our boys. He will come home, dog-tired, and still muster up the energy to wrestle, throw the ball or jump on the trampoline.
- He honestly at times is happier making ME happy than doing something to make HIM happy. I don’t have that gift.
- Lastly for this list, but certainly not LAST b/c the list continues, he is wonderfully romantic. He is a great giftgiver. He washed my feet when he asked me to marry him as a sign of how he would spend his life serving me. And he continually serves me, every day!
Now you know a little more about our story. And how good I have it, right?
Happy birthday babe!